4.05.2010

Impacted Wisdom Teeth and Geisha Dolls

I had oral surgery this past Friday to remove my three remaining wisdom teeth. I decided on local anesthetic only, which I DO NOT recommend for people who get nervous easily! I sniveled most of the way home then consoled myself by practicing my crochet increases and decreases. Here if what I eventually came up with:

Amigurumi

I tried to remember the directions for these although looking at the number of stitches for the taller doll, I think I messed up >.< These are for the plumper doll, my favorite of the two:

Rnd 1: Chain 6 and join wth slip stitch
Rnd 2: sc in 1st loop, 2 sc in second loop. Repeat to 9 sc
Rnd 3: sc in next 2 lps, 2 sc in 3rd loop. Repeat to 12 sc
Rnd 4: 2 sc in each loop around. 24 sc total.
Rnd 5: 1 sc in first loop, 2 sc in second. Repeat to 36 sc.
Rnd 6: sc in next 5 loops, 2 sc in 6th loop. Repeat to 42 sc.
Rnd 7: With kimono color sc in each loop around (42 sc)
Rnd 8: decrease to 36 by sc in first 5 loops, 2 sctog.
Rnd 9: sc in next five loops, 2 sc in 6th loop. Repeat to 42 sc
Rnd 10 to end: sc in next six loops, 2 sc in seventh loop. Repeat to 48 sc

Finish body to desired height.

The hair was made by following the direction for Rnds 1-6 then increasing to 52 sc by placing 1 sc in the first 6 loops, 2 sc in the 7th loop and repeating. I went back and forth along the sides of the hairpiece making about 5 rows of sc, repeatedly placing it on the doll's head to get he desired face width. I think each row is about 30 sc.

The faces and hair are made with Red Heart acrylic yarn, and the kimono are made of Caron Simply Soft Eco, which is just so pretty and shiny and very soft. Once my acrylic stash runs out, I am thinking of using recyclable and sustainable materials exclusively in all future crochet projects. If we all do our share and show there is a demand for more environmentally friendly crafting projects, it is the nature of the market to respond to the demand.

A healthier environment and prettier yarn achieved in one fell swoop. Wouldn't that be divine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it!